How to survive the summer heat
By: Marcie Morris
Summer is finally here! And living is easy, but not for your hair. Heat from the sun degrades the protective protein in hair—which oxidizes the color to a brassy hue, wipes out shine, and leaves locks brittle. On top of that, UV rays, follicle-frizzing humidity, and moisture-zapping chlorine and saltwater can parch your ‘do. Here are a few tips to help keep your summer tresses in order:
- Keep conditioning: Just as our body needs water to survive, our hair needs to replenish its moisture to stay healthy. Conditioner for the hair acts just like water to the body. It replenishes lost moisture from chemicals and products we put into the hair. So if you have become a dry shampoo fan just like all the rest of us, try adding a deep conditioner to help retain moisture.
- Use a thermal protectant: Make sure when styling hair you are using a great thermal protectant. Adding more heat to the hair will stress out the tresses so making sure the proper product is being used will help on damage. There are a lot of these products now that are UV safe and actually help block out the rays.
- Take it easy: Take a break from doing blowouts and try letting your natural hair and texture be released. The best thing about summer is playing around with your natural curl and having a just left the beach look. Also try having a loose braid or fishtail.
- Lower the heat: Summer is great for letting your hair air-dry. If you want to still use a blow-dryer, make sure your heat setting is set on low or medium and make sure your nozzle or concentrator is on.
- Mask it: Masks penetrate the hair shaft in order to repair it. Try using a mask at least once a week and after any day at the beach or pool. It will help to replenish any moisture lost or sun damage that occurred.
- Get a gloss: Glosses are a great service to get whether you need to seal in a color, or looking to add shine back into hair that has lost it’s sheen.
- Get into the salon to get a trim: Maintaining regular salon appointments is important when repairing hair from sun or color damage. It is important to get trims frequently to relieve hair of split ends and leave the hair looking fresh.
Powered by Facebook Comments